Chinese hot and sour soup
– 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock (or vegetables broth for vegetarian)
– 1 block tofu, cut into long strips
– 5 shitake mushrooms, cut into thin slices
– 1/2 cup soy sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
– 1/2 cup white vinegar
– 1 1/2 cups bamboo shoot strips
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mix with 4 tablespoons water
– 3 eggs, beaten
– 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
– You can adjust the ratio of water to chicken stock as desired.
– Drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the soup, stirring to thicken. Then drizzle beaten eggs into soup, stirring. Top with sesame oil.
– Hot and Sour Soup also can be frozen. Just leave out the tofu and add it when you thaw the soup, and bring it to boiling. When it boils, add the egg.